Where is Kathmandu? Capital of Nepal, location facts and information
- Table of Contents
- Kathmandu Overview
- Quick facts
- Physical features and structures
- Kathmandu map
- Activities near by
- Some facts
Nepal is a small landlocked country located in the southern part of Asia. It is officially declared as the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal. It is the 48th largest country by Population in South Asia with a total population of 26.4 million, whereas it occupies 93rd position based on area. China surrounds Nepal in the North and India in the south, east, and west. Besides that, Nepal is divided into three topographical regions: the Himalayan /Mountain region, the Hilly region, and the Terai region, where Kathmandu is situated in the hilly area.
Nepal possesses diverse geography that includes fertile plains, subalpine forested hills. And most importantly, it consists of eight of the world’s ten tallest mountains, including Mount Everest, the world’s highest peak in the world.
Are you planning to travel Kathmandu for Visit Nepal 2020 Campaign and are in a dilemma where Kathmandu is? No worry, the answer to the question is in this article.
You are always welcome to the country of Himalayas and experience various holidays’ tour.
We assure you to provide the best tour packages in Nepal with our professional, experienced tour and trekking guide. Whether it be trekking in the high hills or sightseeing the famous historical place of Nepal, be sure that you would not be disappointed by our nature and services. Our all well-skilled guide with full knowledge about history, culture, the society of the sightseeing place of Nepal will give you a great companion with tremendous experience.
Kathmandu could be a town wherever ancient traditions rub shoulders with the newest technology. Kathmandu is the capital city of Nepal and is the largest city that offers several features for entertainment purposes.
Multiethnic and Multicultural Nepal has the Nepali as the official language. Discover ancient temples and monuments in the valley of the Gods where Hinduism and Buddhism co-exist in perfect harmony.
Kathmandu is also called as the city of temples and located the heart of the country. It is the capital of the Democratic Republic of Nepal.
|Elevation||1,262 m (4,140 ft) to 2,732 m (8,963 ft) above sea level.|
|Neighbouring Districts||Bhaktapur, Lalitpur, Kavrepalancok, Sindhupalchok, Makwanpur, Dhading.|
|Development Region||Central Development Region|
|Airport||Tribhuvan International Airport|
Kathmandu is located in the hills of Province 3 and is one of the three famous districts located in Kathmandu Valley. The district is located from 27°27′E to 27°49′E longitude and 85°10′N to 85°32′N latitude.
• The following are the surrounding district that surrounds Kathmandu Valley from a different direction:
• East: Bhaktapur District and Kavrepalanchok District
• West: Dhading District and Nuwakot District
• North: Nuwakot District and Sindhupalchok District
• South: Lalitpur District and Makwanpur District
The altitude of the Kathmandu valley ranges from 1,262 m (4,140 ft) to 2,732 m (8,963 ft) above sea level.
Kathmandu Valley comprises various cultural groups, ethnic groups, languages, races, and religions. The city itself has a vast population ranging of about 1.5 million while the total population of the valley goes around 5 million. And the valley includes other towns as well, such as Patan, Bhaktapur, Thimi, Kirtipur, and Lalitpur. The physical structure of the valley depicts it as a bowl shape and is a place for an ancient lake. Fertile Land and moderate weather condition here makes this place perfect for farming.
It is the gateway to exploring the most beautiful places on earth called Nepal. Anyone coming to Nepal will directly land at Kathmandu and enjoy their pleasurable trip. I can say that this place is the best to suit every kind of traveler; either you may be an adventurer, any wildlife enthusiasts, Travel Geek, or the explorer. Be it Buddhism or Hinduism; you will get to know everything about these oldest religions.
Kathmandu district has great historical importance. Newar, Brahmin, Tamang, Magar, Chettri, etc. are the main residents of this city. This place consists of only Nepal International Airport, Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA).
Significant economic and developmental activities are carried out in the city. It operates on the NPT geographical zone. Kathmandu consists of many luxurious hotels that are low rates, possess no booking fees, no cancellation fees, and provides spectacular facilities.
There are a bunch of recommended hotels in the valley such as Hotel Yak and Yeti, Hyatt Hotel, Hotel Jampa Thamel, Peak Point Hotel, The Everest Hotel, Yellow Pagoda Hotel, Hotel Thamel, Hotel Vaishali and any more. These hotels lie in the heart of Kathmandu City and provide 24hr features to the customer. They offer a homely environment and gives impressive 180-degree views of the Himalayas.
Whether you choose to explore Kathmandu’s street food with a local, carve stone with a local artisan, or even learn to cook Nepali momos and Dal Bhat in the friendly hospitality of a local in its warm home.
Kathmandu is covering 218 square miles of land and is situated at an altitude of approx.1370m above the sea level. It has three major historical, artistic, cultural cities. Kathmandu, Bhaktapur, and Patan are the cities.
Kathmandu is called as the city of Temples. This is why it is a holy land to explore the vast, diverse culture and enormous landscapes. Kathmandu Durbar Squares, Boudhnath Stupa, Pashupatinath temples, and Swayambunath Temples and many more are the must-visit temples of this city. Nagarkot is the best place to enjoy the bright sunrise and sunset view over the stunning mountains peaks. You will enjoy the heavenly feeling by visiting those places.
A vibrant and crazy city Kathmandu offers you plenty of things to do in Kathmandu and enjoy within its premises. You can have a glance at the Kathmandu in Map Below.
However, it is still recovering from the tragic 2015 earthquake, so many guide books are a bit out of date when it comes to the key activities.
You can have a long list of activities to choose in this vast, vibrant city such as:
- Enjoy Mountain Flight
Trying the Local Cuisine
- Narayanhiti Museum Tour (the home of the royal family before the revolution over the Monarchy took palace in 2006)
- Visit Different Monasteries
Buy handicrafts from artisans who still work according to old traditions that go back centuries.
- Go for short hiking (Nagarkot, Chisapani, Champa Devi, Nagarjuna and Kathmandu to Dhulikhel hiking)
Below is the map of Nepal that points out the capital city, Kathmandu:
Click the below link for finding a specific place around the Kathmandu Valley.
The weather condition of the Kathmandu may be a matter of significant surprise to those who things it is the place of extreme cold because of the altitude and central continental location. However, the temperature is just beyond the expectation; it is sunny; this is why the Kathmandu valley is classified as” Warm Temperate.” The temperature range in the summer season goes around 25 to 30 making super-hot at day time.
In Contrast, the temperature stays at 10 degrees in winter, which sometimes may fall below 0, to making super cold. The precipitation level is around 1.4m per annum despite the local variation. June and August mark the peak monsoon period in the central part of the valley.
If you are planning to visit Kathmandu City, you must be aware of some facts which are listed below:
- Kathmandu is the gateway to tourism in Nepal.
- We say “Namaste” while greeting each other. Unlike another country where greeting is done by handshake and hug.
- Kathmandu valley has recorded the status of a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in the year 1979.
- Previously Kathmandu as known by the name “Kantipur,” which means ‘City of Glory.’
- In Nepal, people have a strong slogan called “Unity in Diversity,” which means all people are united despite their race, caste, culture, and Tradition. The Newari community generally acknowledged being the indigenous inhabitants of the valley.
- Unfortunately, Kathmandu marked as one of the capitals having slowest internet speed at 256 kbps in the world. However, may ISPs are trying to improve the internet speed in the city.
- Kathmandu comprises of more number of UNESCO listed World Heritage sites among the capitals in the world. Pashupatinath, the Swyambunath, Boudha Stupa, Kathmandu, Bhaktapur and Patan Durbar Square are the world heritage sites lying within the radius of 15 Kilometers in Valley.
Unlike the neighbor nations which were ruled by foreigners once, Nepal has never been ruled by them.
- The 2015 earthquake destroyed several temples in Kathmandu’s UNESCO-listed Durbar Sq, but most areas are not damaged.
- The city of Kathmandu is named after a structure in Basantapur Durbar Square called Kaasthamandap. Kaasthamandap is a unique temple, also known as Maru Satal, which was built in 1596 CE.
- Kathmandu is the melting point of Buddhism and Hinduism. The Hindu shrine, Pashupatinath, attracts thousands of tourists every year.
- Indra Chowk, Asan, Thamel are the busiest and famous street in the city where thousands of kinds of stuff are sold. In Thamel there is lots of tourist roaming around that is why it is called as the Kathmandu’s Central Hub.
- It had been a time once even the mighty Mongol Emporers like Kublai Kaan employed exceptional craftsmen from the Katmandu valley to glorify their empire.
- Unique culture and architecture and varieties of festivals make Kathmandu accessible for Tourist destinations.
- The famous festival ‘Indra Jatra” (which is celebrated to honor Lord Indra) is celebrated only in Kathmandu, and the Government provides holiday within the city on that day.
- Religious and cultural festivities form a major part of the lives and cultures of people residing in the valley. Kathmandu is a mixed combination of Hinduism and Buddhism.
If you want to enjoy the city from the closest point, then you can try local transportation like public vehicles, tempo (Battery run three-wheelers), Microbus, etc. Other than you can try rides on a local rickshaw, ponies, or bullocks-carts most available at the Thamel area. You may feel annoying by the ongoing peak hour traffic problems in Nepal. Hence, booking your private vehicle is the best idea for sightseeing around Kathmandu Valley. It will save your maximum time. Considering the comfortability, the Government running green buses, which are called as Sajha Bus, are perfect. Sajha Bus runs along north-south and east-west roads inside the valley.
Please note that the charge taken by private taxis are slightly higher in the festive period or in the night time. Most of the hotels have arranged and operate night Taxi Service also. Other than that Mountain Bikes or an ordinary bicycle can be very cheap rent. They can be hired at Thamel, Rani Pokhari area, and other places near the popular Tourist Destination. The tourist bus provides the best service to the tourist, and an offer easy to drive without any obstacles. They are run in the prime tourist areas such as Pokhara, Chitwan, Dhulikhel, and other places.
You can opt for Domestic airlines of your in sort of time as they have extended networks all over Nepal. There are more than 18 are those operating services. You can enjoy mountain flights also.