Trip Overview of Island Peak Climbing
Island peak climbing is a small and mythical trek in the Khumbu region. The Island peak also known as Imja Tse has an altitude of 6119 meters from sea level.
The mountain gets the name “Island Peak” in 1952 AD by Eric Shipton’s group. With its best location in the middle of the Chhukung valley, It seems as if it’s the Island on a sea of ice from Dingboche. The Island peak areas are the extension of the ridge which comes down from the south end of the Lhotse Shar. It lies hardly 10 kilometers away from Mount Everest.
This trek is a fabulous climb through green grassland along with the fabled view of Mount Everest. This trek is for those people who love Adventure Mountains in their real form covered by snow and ice. The highlight of this trek is a stunning view of different high mountains like Pumori, Nuptse, Lhotse, and Everest’s north face from Kala Patthar. This place is called the island peak because earlier it used to look like an island in the sea of ice. Compare to other mountain peaks in Nepal island peak is slightly difficult to trek.
This trek is long and takes about 20 – 21 days to complete with proper acclimatization. You will need to get some special training and experience to do this trek. Sir Edmund Hillary who was the first person to climb Mount Everest also has trekked this place as an experience and training for Mount Everest. The distance between Mount Everest and the island peak is about 10 km.
Popular peak climbing in Everest region
This adventure allows you to behold the never-seen-before locations ranging from mountains, glaciers, backpacking, and famous mountain trails. The Island peak climbing offers you enough chance to enjoy the fantastic view of Mt. Everest, including several other similar peaks, and explore the Buddhist monasteries and shrines along with extraordinary wildlife. The path, Chukkung RI, and Kalapathar are more essential for the classic views of icefalls and glaciers of the Mahalangur Himalayan range.
Imja Tse/Island not only provides an enjoyable climb but also offers some of the different spectacular scenery of the Himalayas in the Khumbu region including the Mt. Everest 8848 m, Mt. Nuptse 7,855 m, Lhotse 8,516 m, Makalu (8475 m) in the east, Baruntse 7720 m, and Mt. Amadablam 6856 m in the south.
This island peak climbing expedition offers terrific trekking through the high Khumbu region. It fit, enthusiast person is welcome to join the team. Sensational views of an array of high snow-capped mountains, dramatic landscapes, verdant steep valleys, Buddhist culture, warm, friendly hospitality of Highlanders, pristine lakes, breathtaking viewpoints, in the heart of world’s heritage ‘Sagarmatha National Park’ are the critical features of Island Peak climbing that will be your once in a lifetime experience.
Get our best package for Island peak climbing
You can observe centuries-old Nepalese and Tibetan cultures during this trek. You will get to witness the majestic view of the mountains, glaciers, backpacking, and famous mountain trails. Going through different remote villages of the Khumbu region like Tokyo, Namche Bazar, Dzongkha, Tengboche, and Chukung will make you closer to the local people. You will spend two nights in the island peak base camp.
From there you will have a panoramic view of the high snow peak mountains. You will also get to see different rare animals like pheasants, Himalayan Griffons, Musk deer throughout this trek. Sagarmatha national park which is enlisted by UNESCO as the world’s heritage site also falls under this trek. The best season for trekking to the island peak from March to May (spring) and from September to November (autumn). We will arrange the best package for island peak climbing for you.
Island peak is one of the prominent climbing peaks in Nepal with an altitude of 6,189 meters. Island peak is also commonly known as Imja Tse. This peak is surrounded by many high mountain peaks like Mera Peak, Pokalde, Louche East, and the highest mount Everest. The Island peak appears as an island in a sea of ice when viewed from Dingboche that is why this peak is named Island peak by Eric Shipton. This peak is also referred as “trekking peak “because this peak is one of those few mountain peaks in Nepal which is accessible without the logistic of a major operation and does not require a huge mastery of winter and trekking skills.
Island peak is an easy peak climbing in Nepal
You will have two different options from where you can start the island peak climb. one is from the base camp at the altitude of 5,087 meters which is also called Pareshyaya Gyab. Another option is quite famous and more preferred to reduce the amount of time and effort for climbing Island peak which ascends to High camp at an altitude of 5,600 meters. You might have a little trouble with a proper water supply and food in the higher altitude region, so you will have to plan your trek according to that.
The real glacier travel begins from the top of the gorge and up to the sloppy ice and steep snow. For the ascent of the mountain, there is a rope fixed set at almost 100 meters to the submit for the trekking. From the top of the island peak, you will get an exotic view of mount Everest and several other mountains on the side of mount Everest like Lhotse and Mount Makalu.
Island peak trekking will provide you a great chance of experiencing mountaineering especially for beginners for climbing other high mountains. for climbing island peak you will not be required any types of special mountaineering experience. The journey to the island peak will provide you a beautiful glance at the natural and cultural beauty of the Khumbu region. Island peak is also surrounded by a sea of the glacier of sea and mountains from seven and eight thousand meters heights.
Summit day: standing at the top of island peak
The majority of trekking peaks in Nepal can be submitted within 1 or 2 days but there are lots of technical difficulties that can make your trek hard. island peak was firstly climbed in 1956 by a team that was experienced and is familiar with climbing techniques for climbing the great Mount Everest. This submit is falls on the moderate level of trekking because of the ice and snow all over the trail. you can get a breath-taking view of mysterious mountains like Ama Dablam (6,856) and Makalu (8,481 m). the ascent to island peak might be a little hard for the trekkers but the descent is very easy and fast. While trekking at island peak you will get a chance to walk through the countryside where you will immerse in the old and centuries of Gurung, Sherpa, and Tibetan cultures.
The major highlights of island peak climb are standing at the top of island peak at an altitude of 6,189 meters. From the top of this peak, you will bet the closest view of mountains like Makalu (8475 m), Baruntse (7129 m) in the east, and the famous expedition peak of Ama Dablam (6812 m) in the south. This peak is physically challenging and a bit hard but once you stand at the top of the island peak you will forget all the pain and difficulty. You can take pictures and enjoy the view of the mountain all around.
Highlights of trips
- The trail and everything of island peak trek is a perfect introduction to mountaineering and Himalayas trekking in Nepal.
- The panoramic view of mountains through the trail including the heightens Mount Everest and Lhotse, Makalu, and many 7,000 m+ peaks.
- You will also get a chance to Experience traditional high-Himalayan Gurung, Sherpa culture in the towns of the Khumbu region while trekking the island peak.
- Observing different wildlife including the Musk Deer, Himalayan Tahr, Himalayan Monal, and maybe even the Snow Leopard in Sagarmatha national park.
- Trekking in Everest base camp from where you will get the real experience of trekking to mountains.
- As this peak is not that high so trekkers are less likely to have altitude sickness during this trek. but you will have to take the necessary precaution for avoiding this problem.
Things to know before trekking to island peak
- Be prepared for the trek i.e. take proper mountain climbing training, yoga, and different exercise which will help to complete this trek easily.
- Buy your equipment as it will be new and be more comfortable. You can buy trekking equipment’s in Kathmandu as it will cost less.
- You will have to hire a porter to take care of your bags and luggage for the entire trek as this trek is a long trek and it will be difficult to carry bags throughout the entire trek.
- Manage your safety yourself for the entire trek. as mentioned above the weather condition of the island peak is very cold so wear warm clothes throughout the trek and wear a helmet and safety equipment while climbing the peak.
- Always listen and follow the instruction given by the guide while trekking.
Is island peak safe to trek?
Of course, the island peak is very much safe to trek despite some difficulty. So, the safety and comfort of the trekkers throughout the trek are high. Besides that, some of the difficulties of this trek can be minimized by taking pre-trek training. You will be provided with an experienced and trained guide. While island peak you will be knotted tightly with your trekking guide and following your guide’s instruction you can complete this trek easily.
What are the gears that I need to carry for this trek?
While traveling in the mountains you will need to carry many things with you. The things that you need to carry for this trek includes Climbing boots, Backpack (daypack), Sleeping bag, Headtorch, Water & windproof jacket, Shirts and t-shirts, Thermal base layers, Sun hat & sunglasses, Gloves, Thermal bottoms, Socks, Trekking trousers, Water & windproof trouser, Water bottles Sun cream & lip balm and Personal toiletries. For trekking, you will need to carry a Tape sling, Gloves, Carabiners, Prussik loop, Ice ax, Climbing Harness, Ascending device, Descending device, Crampons, and climbing helmets and boot.
Do I need to get training before this trek?
there are many courses and training that you can take before trekking to the island pea. However, it is not a compulsion for this trek. The training you should do to prepare for your island peak climbing trek depends on your current level of fitness and any medical conditions. That is if your acre physically strong then you do not need to take training some yoga and basic physical exercise will be enough but if you are not physically strong then you will have to take some climbing courses. We suggest for climbing island peak you can do a minimum of five times per week, an hour each time, doing activities such as hill walking, cyclin ruining and strength work.
What happens in case of emergencies?
As there are fewer facilities in the higher altitude area of Nepal. There is a limited number of hospitals or any kit of medical services on the trail to Island peak. So, while hiring a guide trekking companies check whether he/she have passed the medical course or not. Trekking guides are well trained for any kind of emergencies. Since the priority is the health and safety of trekkers, if a fellow trekker in your group needs to descend, then an assistant guide would go with them. If there arise serious emergencies then evacuation would be by helicopter.
Difficulty to climb
Climbing the Island peak requires trekking training along with physical exercise before training. This trek is very difficult to climb because of snow all over the trail. While climbing the trek you will be connected by rope with your guide, but do not trust that rope connection entirely. Having a rock climbing experience might be helpful for this trek.
This is a skin problem caused by the freezing of skin and underlying tissue. Frostbite can happen in the hands, legs, and ears due to extreme cold. The normal temperature on the island peak is -15 to -20 degrees Celsius. To minimize frostbite, you will have to keep your body warm and not reveal any body part.
Food and accommodation
Island peak climb trek goes through different villages so you do not have to worry about the place for accommodation and food. You will find a variety of food in the lower altitude region but as you reach to Khumbu region you will not find much variety of food. We can have Nepali, Sherpa, and some western food like chips during this trek. You must eat the right food which proves you with the energy for trekking. In addition to this, there are many shops throughout the trail that provide snacks, sweets, and chocolates.
You will be very comfortable with the hotel’s ad lodges in the Khumbu region. You will need to carry sleeping bags adjustable for any season with you as you will be camping in the mountains. For camping, you will be provided with a foam mattress. Also, hotels and lodges are full during peak seasons like spring and autumn season so do not forget to book your trek early. Make sure you eat warm food which will help you do complete this trek fast. Moreover drinking lots of water will help you to be complete this trek very fast.
Is Island peak climbing doable?
Island peak is definitely achievable for most people. Though climbing an island peak is hard, it is worth it after you get the view of the high mountains. You must make a positive frame before trekking. But adequate preparation is required.
or the trek. Physical and technical training is very important before the trek. Rock climbing, mountain climbing, and camping experience will be helpful for this trek.
Doing physical exercise include swimming, yoga and basic exercise before 6 months of the trek will be beneficial for the trek. also, this trek needs more time to complete so, make sure that you plan this trek in such a way that you will have 2 -3 days to adapt to the temperature. Trekking island peak is not for people who have a breathing problem or any other health-related problem.
Gears and equipment list
- Hiking island peak is a very difficult task to do. Walking on the rocky might be painful for your feet so you will have to carry a pair of trekking boots with you.
- Make sure you carry Good gloves to keep your hands warm while trekking. Also, remember that the gloves must be very comfortable as you will have to carry mountaineering equipment.
- Always carry a water bottle with you. It is very important to keep your body hydrated in high altitude places like island peak. Also, carry water purifying tablet with you.
- While climbing the island peak you need to connect with a rope with your guide. So you will need to carry a rope with you. There are different types of ropes available in the market but dynamic ropes are preferred for climbing mountains.
- A Well-fitted harness is required for to island peak. Make sure that the harness that you will use is comfortable and easy to apply.
- As you will be trekking in the mountains so you might have to camp in the mountains so carry a sleeping bag.
The following is some advice for the Island Peak Climbing Equipment list. You can choose the packing list as per your interest, elevation, season, and requirements. Most of the equipment can hire in Kathmandu. remember to pack light.
- Climbing harness
- Ice ax
- Mountaineering boots
- AscenderDescender/Abseil device
- Snow bar
- Ice hammer
- Helmet (optional)
- Sun hat or scarf
- Fleece jacket with wind-Stopper
- Waterproof shell jacket
- Down jacket (you can hire in Kathmandu also)
- Lightweight gloves and also Heavyweight gloves or mittens with a waterproof shell outer for Island peak climbing.
- Light and expedition weight thermal bottoms
- Fleece or wool pants
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell pants
- Thick, warm wool hiking socks
- Hiking boots with spare laces
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- Sleeping bag rated to zero degrees Fahrenheit
- Trekking poles (sticks)
- Trek rucksack or duffle bag
- Basic First Aid Kit
- Daypack (35 to 50 ltr)
- Thermo-rest sleeping pad
- Water bottles
- Small wash towel
- Quick-drying towel (medium-sized)
- Soap (preferably biodegradable)
- Toothbrush/paste (preferably biodegradable)
- Face and body moisturizer
- Nail clippers
- Small mirror
- Tissue paper/ toilet roll
- Anti-bacterial Hand wash
- Trail Map/Guide book
- Reading book
- Journal & Pen
- Pencils and small notebooks
- Snack Foods (Bring snacks and foods you like to munch)
- Travel clothes to wear in Kathmandu
- Sleeping bag (-20 degrees sleeping bag)
- Inflatable mattress
Island Peak Climbing - Trip Info
Duration: 19 Days
Trek Grade: Difficult
Joining in: Kathmandu Nepal
Location: Everest Trekking Regions.
Best time: March to May and September – November are the best seasons.
Guide: Government certified hiking/Trekking & Climbing Guide.
Lodging: Twin sharing tea house/guest house accommodation private room. Tented camping will be done on the journey during the trek and climbing.
Food: Breakfasts Lunch and dinners (typical Nepali cuisine – vegetarian option usually available)